Nicest Places I’ve Ran This Year
It’s been a strange year but a good one too. I’ve run in many places in this time and I wanted to share with you some of the favourite places I encountered along the way.
- Hradek Nad Nisou, Czech Republic – It’s not that pretty but what fascinated me about the place was it’s location on the Czech, Polish and German borders. I ran here regularly from Liberec along a nice trail which was all downhill towards the German border. There’s a pretty little train station in the centre of the town which takes you back into the heart of Liberec for 30 crowns or £1.50.
- Split, Croatia – Beautiful harbour to run around, not forgetting to mention Marjan Country Park. I stayed right in the centre and did the Marjan loop almost every day. The only downside to Split was the lack of alternative running routes. It’s very built up and not pedestrian friendly.
- Mount Jested, Czech Republic – I stayed in Liberec for 2 weeks and spent most of my days trying to run up this mountain. I tried the trails to begin with but was easily defeated so took the long and winding road up instead. The views are something else, even if the hotel tower is a bit shite.
- Skipton, North Yorkshire – Visited here on my trip along the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in July. Rustic, pretty and full of old people who won’t let you get away without talking to them. It’s only about 15 miles from Burnley and Blackburn, both of which are shitholes. I’d love to go back here sometime and maybe stay for a few days in Leeds. It’s a cool city. Love Yorkshire apart from the terrifying bits near Bradford.
- Valkenberg, The Netherlands – Full of east Belgians. Great sushi. Beautiful buildings. Perfect weather. No coffeeshops for cannabis this far south of the Netherlands without a permit so it was good to actually give my brain a rest and experience it sober.
Worst place this year was probably Leipzig. It could be different in the summertime but in winter it is just fucking bleak. Like some kind of DDR relic.