My Running Plans For The Remainder Of 2013.
I think it’s time to dream big again for the year. My positive experience at the Lisburn Half Marathon has inspired me to push on and to strive to make my 2013 a good one.
Time to wise up, mature, act my age?
I keep thinking about how I should put the brakes on in life and live and save for the future like everyone else my age. But I can’t buy into that idea.
I’ve no interest in investing into a future that others want for me. A future that’s respectable. A future that’s 100% predictable and safe but ends in the same inevitable death.
I’m 29 and I still vaguely have youth on my side and the biggest regret I can imagine having when I’m older is resigning myself to a safe existence at a young age.
I’m not gonna get out alive either way, so I’d rather try to enjoy myself and make my own plans and move forward from there.
My Running Plans for 2013.
I feel like the blog’s been shit recently and it’s due to a lack of a cohesive goal for the remainder of 2013.
Sure I have a few races lined up for Autumn but it all seems a bit pointless without firm targets.
So here is what I’m gonna do for the remainder of the year.
- In October I will run 2 marathons in 2 weeks. These are the Amsterdam and Dublin Marathons. I will run the Amsterdam Marathon to try to erase the bitter memory of Paris out of my mind. I realise that I could very well be doubling up here with the house against me. I will run Dublin to exorcise the demons of the 2011 Dublin disaster.
- In September I will run 2 half marathons in 2 days. The first will be the Phoenix Park Half Marathon and the next will be the inaugural Belfast Half Marathon. It won’t be in the name of peace or any of that hippy bullshit. Although I will be there to appreciate the best of what both cities have to offer.
- I will run a sub 2-hour half marathon in the Belfast Half Marathon but until then I’ll try to run a sub 2 hour half in every race I enter. In training I’m gonna run shorter distances during the week and focus on getting my average pace down from 9:30 min/mile to 9:00 min/mile by the end of July.
- I will run either Dublin or Amsterdam in sub 4 hours 30 minutes. I’m gonna start both of those races at a 9:30 min/mile and try to sustain that pace for as long as possible and deal with it from there.
- Most importantly I’m gonna keep on enjoying my running and I’m gonna enter 2014 having being proud of 2013. There will be no excuses. I will not need to threaten to streak my pubes pink anymore for missing my targets. It’s all in my hands (and I’m not talking about my winky).
So tell me, what are your plans for 2013?