9 Thoughts That Have Helped Me Lose Weight Gradually As A Runner Over The Last Few Months.
As you may have noticed I stopped doing my weekly weigh-ins at the end of January. Don’t worry, I haven’t jumped off the wagon and gained 100lbs!
I’ve been steadily losing the pounds and am now down to 205.3lbs from 210lbs at the start of the year.
Here’s a sample of my Withings weight graph for 2013.
9 thoughts that have helped me lose weight as a runner in recent months.
- I’ve ignored the fucking idiots who relentless bleat out that truism “breakfast is the most important meal of the day!” – I am not hungry in the mornings. I get hungrier by the time I reach work, so I eat then. By lunch time I’ll be starving so I’ll have a bigger meal then. My point is that in the past I’ve ate breakfast when I’ve had no appetite, only for it to return 3 hours later with a vengeance. I’m more concerned about what I eat over the course of a day or a week. One meal does not make or break a day.
- I prepare myself for the bad days so that I can take advantage of the good days – If you’ve started on a weight loss program and you’re losing weight easily, then your greatest challenge will be the day you fuck up and eat & drink piles of shit. The key to losing weight and keeping it off is to never give up just because of a bad day/week/month or even year and accept that you will have periods where you gain. Just focus on doing the small things right now.
Stop eating the fucking Doritos!
- I’ve stopped underestimating walking as an excellent means of exercise – My lunch break is not complete without at least a mile walk. Throughout 2012 I was walking very little and i struggled to gain momentum with weight loss.
- I don’t eat before a run in the morning – Why? Well it’s simple. I eat a ton of food between dinner and midnight. That is more than enough to tide me over until later in the morning. If I force myself to eat then I’ll be bloated during the run.
- I no longer listen to those who say “shit man, you’re getting too skinny!” – I’m still overweight. The people who tell me this will often be overweight themselves and be really meaning “shit man, you’re a bit thinner than me and making me a bit conscious of my own weight! Have some KFC!”.
- I eat some fruit with lunch – Nowadays I try to eat a tasty pasta dish along with an entire punnet of Grapes or Strawberries. To those of you out there wincing and thinking “GRAPES ARE SO HIGH IN SUGAR DUDE! CUT THEM OUT!”. Yeah. Suck my dick. For me it’s either grapes or Snickers, so shut up.
- I’m continuing to make good split second decisions when shopping – Last week I was on my way to work and came close to picking up a bottle of Dr Pepper for the journey. I changed my mind and got a can of Coke Zero. This has turned into a habit now and has definitely helped with my weight loss.
- I focus on how I will feel after a binge rather than how tasty the food will be – I never feel good after a 12″ Meatilicious from Domino’s. In fact I always feel terminal. When I order from Domino’s these days I end up throwing half the pizza out as I can tell towards the end that it’ll only make me feel worse.
- I don’t bother on cutting back on food if I’m gonna drink alcohol later in the day – Here’s why. On Fridays I used to restrict my food intake before having a bottle of wine and some beer. By the end of the wine I would have ordered takeout and entered “fuck-it-I’m-gonna-eat-everything-mode”. If you’re gonna drink, be sensible and hydrate before , during and after the booze. It will help curb your appetite. But above all, be realistic and focus on damage limitation. You are gonna feel hungry if you cut back on food and drink your calories. Be prepared for it.